Meeting Kids Where They Are

     I've been saying this for years, "We need to meet kids where they are in order to move them forward."  This applies greatly to the small popular of non-readers I serve at my school.  I've come across only a handful of publishing houses that are committed solely to developing stories that accurately reflect today's teen.  I like Saddleback Publications;  they have wide range of novels that all teens will enjoy. How do I know this, these books whether fiction or non-fiction have a high circulation count in my Library Media Center.  Any questions?

Professional Development at my school
     I had to opportunity to meet Tim McHugh of Saddleback Publications when he visited my school on August 21st.  His presentation on the offerings of their 2013 catalog got my co-workers very excited and ready to beg my principal for funds for purchase! Below is a powerpoint presentation of some of their urban fiction/street lit. books that are all lexiled, meet the needs of common core and just plain interesting to teens.  Please enjoy the pictures and the powerpoint.

     By time you finish the slideshow, you will have a couple of titles you would like purchase.  To make the slideshow bigger for viewing, click the arrow icons in the lower right hand corner....enjoy!

Saddleback Publications - 2013 from K.C. Boyd

Here I am pictured with Saddleback Publication's, PJ Gray.
PJ Gray is signing copies of  book 1
 of his teen series, "Coming Home"

No comments:

Post a Comment