Langan spoke passionately to an audience of about 200 librarians, reading specialists, teachers and left an indelible message for all: Today's youth deserve more novels that reveal a truthful life experience. The following are some highlights from his presentation:
- He was raised by a single parent mother, moved frequently from town to town and was bullied as a child.
- While in high school, he learned that there was 'power in writing' when he won a $5.00 prize for writing the scariest story.
- He was an active participant on his high school’s wrestling team.
- The stories that he writes are connected to his personal life and experiences.
- He is currently working on the sequel to 'The Gun'.
- His wife is the author of, "The Teacher's Guide to the Bluford Series."
- The Bluford Series speaks to a group of readers that have historically been ignored by mainstream publishing. Very few books written/published today reflect the world that some teens can relate to.
It was a pleasure speaking to Langan after the meeting and I look forward to reading more from him in years to come. Check out the Townsend Press homepage and take advantage of the affordable books they have to offer: Townsend Press - http://www.townsendpress.com/